- MAFS.8.G.3.9: Know the formulas for the volumes of cones, cylinders, and spheres and use them to solve real-world and mathematical problems.
|Learning Targets and Learning Criteria|
- Students will be able to describe the similarity between finding the volume of a cylinder and the volume of a right prism.
- Students will derive the formula to find the volume of a cylinder, a cone, and a sphere.
- Students will informally prove the relationship between the volume of a cylinder and the volume of a cone with the same base; and the volume of a sphere and the volume of a circumscribed cylinder.
- Students will use the formulas to find the volume of cylinders, cones, and spheres.
- Students will solve real-world problems involving the volume of cylinders, cones, and spheres.
- We will review the formulas for the volume of cylinders, cones, and spheres, which they have been learning in their core math class.
- Students will begin working on a pennant activity where they will find the volume of cylinders, cones, and spheres or use the volume formulas to find the radius or height if they are given the volume.
- Students will work on finishing their volume pennants.
- Students will work on iReady.
- Students will make corrections on their volume pennants.
- Students may complete assignments for their core math class.
- Pennants due on November 29/30.