- MAFS.8.G.3.9: Know the formulas for the volumes of cones, cylinders, and spheres and use them to solve real-world and mathematical problems.
- MAFS.8.EE.1.1: Know and apply the properties of integer exponents to generate equivalent numerical expressions.
|Learning Targets and Learning Criteria|
- Students will derive the formula to find the volume of a cylinder, a cone, and a sphere.
- Students will use the formulas to find the volume of cylinders, cones, and spheres.
- Students will solve real-world problems involving the volume of cylinders, cones, and spheres.
- Students will determine the properties of integer exponents by exploring patterns and applying their understanding of properties of whole number exponents.
- Students will explain what it means for a number to be raised to a power and how to represent the repeated multiplication symbolically.
- Students will apply the properties of integer exponents to simplify expressions.
- Students will finish volume pennants or finish volume assignments for their core math class.
- Students will do a Quizizz on Volume of Cylinders, Cones, and Spheres to review for their test in their core class.
- Students will do Doodle Notes on Exponents.
- We will go over rules of exponents and do examples on the handout on rules of exponents.
- Students will play Exponent Tic-Tac-Toe.
- Rules of Exponents sheet due on December 7.