January 22-26, 2018
3 Explanation – Anchor Chart Ideas
3 Explanation – Electromagnetic Spectrum Notes
|Subject Area||Comprehension Science III|
|Unit of Instruction||Scale of the Universe and Gravity|
Distinguish the hierarchical relationships between planets and other astronomical bodies relative to solar system, galaxy, and universe, including distance, size, and composition.
Recognize that there are enormous distances between objects in space and apply our knowledge of light and space travel to understand this distance.
Recognize that the universe contains many billions of galaxies and that each galaxy contains many billions of stars.
Explore the Law of Universal Gravitation by explaining the role that gravity plays in the formation of planets, stars, and solar systems and in determining their motions.
Differentiate between weight and mass recognizing that weight is the amount of gravitational pull on an object and is distinct from, though proportional to, mass.
|Learning Targets and Learning Criteria|
• distinguish the hierarchical relationships between planets, stars, moons, asteroids, nebulae, galaxies, dwarf planets and comets in the universe by comparing distance, relative size, and general composition
• describe the distances (in astronomical units and light years) between objects in space in the context of light and space travel
• recognize that the universe contains billions of galaxies and stars
• describe the role gravity plays in the formation of planets, stars, and the solar system (Law of Universal Gravitation)
• differentiate between weight and mass, such as:
-weight is the amount of gravitational pull on an object and is distinct from, though proportional to, mass
• apply the Law of Universal Gravitation to objects in space in terms of orbital path, weight, speed, etc.
Life Size Electromagnetic Spectrum
Electromagnetic Spectrum Quiz