8.L.1.1 – Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.
8.RL.1.1 – Cite textual evidence in literature.
8.RL.1.2 – Determine a theme or central idea in literature.
8.RL.2.4 – Analyze the impact of specific word choices on meaning and tone.
8.RL.1.1 – Cite textual evidence in informational text.
8.RI.1.2 – Determine a central idea in informational text.
|Learning Targets and Learning Criteria|
- To get to know one another and build our classroom community.
- To understand the rules, policies, expectations, and procedures of our classroom.
- To think critically about the message we communicate to the world through our actions, words, and image.
- To understand and identify subject & predicate in sentences.
- To gain a basic knowledge of the seven parts of speech.
- To identify theme in a poem and make text-to-self connections.
- To determine the main idea in informational text.
Policies, procedures, and expectations presentation.
“Pretty Good” poem and responses.
“Memes with a purpose” activity and responses.
Set up Interactive Notebook
Parts of Speech flipbook
Parts of Speech diagnostic activity
Subject & Predicate presentation
“Intelligent Listening” article and responses.
“Pretty Good” poem responses
“Memes with a Purpose” responses
Parts of Speech diagnostic
“Intelligent Listening” responses