•Today I will learn about FORM, so that I can create 3D, potted cacti. I will use a variety of cardboard, to make them have depth, as well as height and width, against my 2D background. • Today I will learn about LINES and SHAPES, so that I CAN draw a cactus and rock formations.
• Today I will learn about WARM and COOL COLORS, so that I CAN use warm colors for the sky background and cool colors for my landforms creating CONTRAST.
• Today I will learn about PERSPECTIVE so that I CAN understand that artists use LINES to show DISTANCE. I’ll know I have it when objects in my FOREGROUND appear larger and smaller in my BACKGROUND.
Construct 4 potted cacti using cardboard pieces. These will be glued onto the
bottom of the final piece towards the end of project.Use scissors, glue, various cardboards (regular ply,corrugated, thin cardboard cereal boxes) to create and construct the potted cacti.
Pots can be round, oval, square, angular, etc. Draw vertical desert cacti using pencil
or light colored chalk pastel. Draw (3) horizontal landforms using pencil or light colored chalk pastel to create foreground, middle ground, and background, which may include foothills, plateaus, mountains, and/or arches.
Step 2 Paint the Desert…
Measure t and draw a horizontal line. Run masking tape along this line to separate paper into two main sections. Paint sunset with arm color scheme (possibly a tiny touch of cool color ). Blend horizontally and top to bottom. Paint desert background (lower half/below
tape division). Select a favorite desert hue. Paint a solid color. Set aside to dry.
Step 3 Painting the Cacti and Landforms…
Paint (3) landforms in a cool/solid color using three selected acrylic colors. Paint pot and plant. Paint a base coat for 4- 6 medium and large desert cacti. Use color + white blending to create highlights using wet on wet blend.
Potted cacti: Detail paint/personalize with color using acrylic.
Desert cacti: Detail paint/personalize with color using acrylic.
Mark making/stamping on all cacti using white paint, wooden tools, and tiny brush +
white paint for texture. Textures might include: dots, vertical/horizontal/wavy lines for
stripes, x-marks, v’s, dashes, etc.
Step 4 Create the Desert Land & Arranging the Cacti…
Arrange dry landforms (cool colors) background to foreground. Glue each landform (start with largest starting above top of tape line. to the smallest below. Arrange all dry cacti. Potted plants on bottom running horizontally on line. Desert cacti medium/large. placed in the desert. Stagger heights.
- Student will learn about and discuss:
- ways artworks and utilitarian objects impact everyday life.
- knowledge and skills necessary for art-making and art-related careers.
- explore careers in which artworks and utilitarian designs are created.
- contributions that artists make to society.