- I can use constructive criticism to improve as an artist. VA.5.C.2.4
- I can use proper, respectful behavior as a member of an art audience. VA.5.H.1.2
- I can compare works of art based on style, culture, or artist across time. VA.5.H.2.1
- I can discuss how skills learned in making and analyzing art can be used to solve problems in other areas. VA.5.H.3.1
- I can use various art tools, media, and techniques to discover how different choices change the effect on the meaning of an artwork. VA.5.S.1.1
- I can create artworks to depict personal, cultural, and/or historical themes. VA.5.S.1.3
- I can use art vocabulary to communicate about works of art and artistic and creative processes. VA.5.S.1.4
- I can use materials, tools, techniques, and processes to achieve expected results in two- and three-dimensional artworks. VA.5.S.3.1
|Learning Targets and Learning Criteria|
- Today I will learn about FORM so that I CAN create a THREE-DIMENSIONAL mask by layering newspaper and paper mâché over a mask form.
- Today I will learn PAPER MACHE TECHNIQUES so that I CAN make a mask and connect separate pieces together.
- Today I will learn about COLOR, so that I CAN mix tempera paint creating different HUES and VALUES for my skin, hair, clothes, and background. I will also add TEXTURE by applying joint compound to the canvas to create my hair.
Students will discuss and compare masks from different cultures and made from different media. They will use a mask form with paper and paper mache’ glue to create their mask. Once hardened, they will attach it to canvas and create texture using joint compound. They will design their own background and mix their own paints for their skin tone and hair color using different values. We will discuss proper facial feature placement and proportions. Upon completion, students will upload their artwork to Artsonia, along with an artist statement.