|Week #||Oct. 16th - Nov.10th|
|Unit of Instruction||Earth and Space|
SC.5.E.5.3 – Distinguish among the following objects of the Solar System – sun, planets, moons, asteroids, comets – and identify Earth’s position in it.
SC.5.E.5.2 – Recognize the major common characteristics of all planets and compare/contrast the properties of inner and outer planets.
SC.5.E.5.1 Also assesses SC.3.E.5.1/5.2/5.3 – Recognize that a galaxy consists of gas, dust, and many stars, including any objects orbiting the stars. Identify our home galaxy as the Milky Way.
Also assesses SC.3.E.5.1/5.2/5.3 (3rd GRADE REVIEW)
|Learning Targets and Learning Criteria|
• review that Earth rotates on its axis one time every 24 hours.
• review that Earth revolves (orbits) around the sun in one year.
• review how the appearance of the moon changes each night.
• review how patterns of stars (constellations) appear to shift across the sky nightly.
• review that different star patterns can be seen in different seasons.
• distinguish among the following objects in the Solar System: sun, planets, moons, asteroids, and comets.
• identify the position and sequential order of objects within the Solar System in relation to the sun using models (e.g., Earth, other planets, inner/outer planets, asteroid belt, stars, moons).
• identify major common characteristics of all planets (tilt on an axis, mass, gravity, revolving/orbiting around a star, rotation, presence of an atmosphere).
• compare the similarities among and differences between the characteristics of inner and outer planets (composition, size, atmospheres, relative temperature, moons, rings, relative length of year based on distance from the sun).
• review that the sun is a star that emits energy in the form of light and heat.
• review that stars are made of gases.
• review how stars can be different: brightness, size, temperature/color.
• review how a star’s appearance (brightness and size) is affected by its distance from Earth.
• describe the composition of a galaxy (gas, dust, and many stars, including any objects orbiting the stars).
• identify our home galaxy as the Milky Way.
UNIT 2 Vocabulary Quiz #1 – Quiz for words 1 – 10 is on Friday September 23rd
UNIT 2 Vocabulary Quiz #2 – Quiz for words 11 – 18 is on Friday September 30th
UNIT 2 Vocabulary Test – All vocabulary words from Unit 2 will be tested the week of October 3rd thru October 7th. Students will be informed of exact date closer to dates above.
Vocabulary Quiz #1 – October 20th (TBA)
Vocabulary Quiz #2 – October 27th (TBA)
Who am I – Planet Project Oct. 31st
Space Day Oct. 31st