· SS.5.A.6.1: Describe the causes and effects of the Louisiana Purchase.
· SS.5.A.6.2: Identify roles and contributions of significant people during the period of westward expansion.
· SS.5.A.6.4: Explain the importance of the explorations west of the Mississippi River.
· SS.5.A.6.7: Discuss the concept of Manifest Destiny.
· SS.5.A.6.9: Describe the hardships of settlers along the overland trails to the west.
· LAFS.5.SL.1.1: Engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions (one-on-one, in groups, and teacher-led) with diverse partners on grade 5 topics and texts, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly.
· LAFS.5.RI.1.1: Quote accurately from a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.
· LAFS.5.RI.3.7: Draw on information from multiple or print or digital sources, demonstrating the ability to locate an answer to a question quickly or to solve a problem efficiently.
· LAFS.5.RI.3.9: Integrate information from several texts on the same topic in order to write or speak about the subject knowledgeably.
· LAFS.5.SL.2.4: Report on a topic or text or present an opinion, sequencing ideas logically and using appropriate facts and relevant, descriptive details to support main ideas or themes; speak clearly at an understandable pace.