Standards Addressed in Lesson:
· LAFS.5.RI.1.1: Quote accurately from a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.
· LAFS.5.RI.2.6 Analyze multiple accounts of the same events or topic, noting important similarities and differences in the point of view they represent.
· LAFS.5.SL.1.1: Engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions (one-on-one, in groups, and teacher-led) with diverse partners on grade 5 topics and texts, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly.
(2) Demonstrate readiness for discussions by drawing on required reading or study of material and other information known about the topic to explore ideas under discussion.
· LAFS.5.L.3.4 Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on grade 5 reading and content, choosing flexibly from a range of strategies.
a. use context (cause/effect relationships and comparisons in text) as a clue to the meaning of a word or phrase.
· c. Consult reference materials (e.g. dictionaries, glossaries, thesauruses) both print and digital, to find the pronunciation and determine or clarify the precise meaning of key words and phrases
· .LAFS.5.W.4.10 Write routinely over extended time frames (time for research, reflection, and revision, and shorter time frames (a single sitting or a day or two) for a range of discipline-specific tasks, purposes, and audiences.
· SS.5.A.2.1: Compare cultural aspects of ancient American civilizations (Aztec/Mayas; Mound Builders/Anasazi/Inuit).
· SS.5.A.3.2 Investigate (nationality, sponsoring country, motives, dates and routes of travel, accomplishments) the European explorers
· SS.5.G.1.1 Interpret current and historical information using a variety of geographic tools