Standards Addressed in Lesson:
- LAFS.5.RI.1.1: Quote accurately from a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.
- LAFS.5.RI.1.2: Determine two or more main ideas of a text and explain how they are supported by key details; summarize the text.
- LAFS.5.RI.1.3 Explain the relationships or interactions between two or more individuals, events, ideas, or concepts in a historical, scientific, or technical text based on specific information in the text.
- LAFS.5.RI.2.4 Determine the meaning of general academic and domain-specific words and phrases in a text relevant to a grade 5 topic or subject area.
- LAFS.5.RI.3.9 Integrate information from several texts on the same topic in order to write or speak about the subject knowledgeably.
- LAFS.5.SL.1.1: Engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions (one-on-one, in groups, and teacher-led) with diverse partners on grade 5 topics and texts, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly.
- LAFS.SL.5.1: Engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussion (one-on-one, in groups, and teacher-led) with diverse partners on grade 5 topics and texts, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly.
- LAFS.5. L.3.4 Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on grade 5 reading and content, choosing flexibly from a range of strategies.
a. Use context (e.g. cause/effect relationships and comparisons in text) as a clue to the meaning of a word or phrase.
b. Consult reference materials (e.g. dictionaries, glossaries, thesauruses) both print and digital, to find the pronunciation and determine or clarify the precise meaning of key words and phrases.
- LAFS.5.L.3.6 Acquire and use accurately general academic and domain specific words and phrases as found in grade level appropriate texts, including those that signal contrast, addition, and other logical relationships
- LAFS.5.L.12d: Use underlining, quotation marks, or italics to indicate titles of works.
- LAFS.5.W.1.2 Write informative/explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas and information clearly
a. Introduce a topic clearly, provide a general observation and focus, and group related information logically; including formatting, illustrations, and multimedia when useful to aiding comprehension.
b. Develop the topic with facts, definitions, concrete details, quotations, or other information and examples related to the topic.
c. Use precise language and domain-specific vocabulary to inform about or explain the topic.
d. Prove a concluding statement or section related to the information or explanation presented.
- SS.5.A.2.2 Compare cultural aspects of Native American tribes from different geographic regions of North America, including but not limited to, clothing, shelter, food, major beliefs and practices, music, art, and interactions with the environment.