Standards Addressed in Lesson:
· LAFS.5.RI.1.1 – Quote accurately from a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.
· LAFS.5.RI.1.2 – Determine two or more main ideas of a text and explain how they are supported by key details; summarize the text.
· LAFS.5.RI.2.6 – Analyze multiple accounts of the same event or topic, noting important similarities and differences in the point of view they represent.
· LAFS.5.RI.3.8 – Explain how an author uses reasons and evidence to support particular points in a text, identifying which reasons and evidence support which point(s).
· LAFS.5.W.1.1 – Write opinion pieces on topics or texts, supporting a point of view with reasons and information.
· LAFS.5.W.2.4 – Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development and organization are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience.
· LAFS.5.W.4.10 – Write routinely over extended time frames (time for research, reflection, and revision) and shorter time frames (a single sitting or a day or two) for a range of discipline-specific tasks, purposes, and audiences.
· LAFS.5.SL.1.1 – Engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions (one-on-one, in groups, and teacher-led) with diverse partners on grade 5 topics and texts, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly.
· LAFS.5.L.2.3 – Use knowledge of language and its conventions when writing, speaking, reading, or listening.
· SS.5.A.2.2 Identify Native American tribes from different geographic regions of North America (cliff dwellers and Pueblo people of the desert Southwest, coastal tribes of the Pacific Northwest, nomadic nations of the Great Plains, woodland tribes east of the Mississippi River).
· SS.5.A.2.3: Compare cultural aspects of Native American tribes from different geographic regions of North America including but not limited to clothing, shelter, food major beliefs and practices, music art, and interactions with the environment.