· LAFS.5.RI.1.1: Quote accurately from a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.
· LAFS.5.RI.1.2: Determine two or more main ideas of a text and explain how they are supported by key details; summarize the text.
· SS.5.C.2.4: Evaluate the importance of civic responsibilities in American democracy.
· SS.5.C.2.5: Identify ways good citizens go beyond basic civic and political responsibilities to improve government and society.
· SS.5.C.1.3: Explain the definition and origins of rights.
· SS.5.C.3.1: Describe the organizational structure (legislative, executive, judicial branches) and powers of the federal government as defined in Articles, I, II, and III of the U.S. Constitution.
· SS.5.C.3.3: Give examples of powers granted to federal government and those reserved for the states.
· SS.5.C.3.5: Identify the fundamental rights of all citizens as enumerated in the Bill of Rights.
· LAFS.5.L.3.4: Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on grade 5 reading and content, choosing flexibly from a range of strategies.
· LAFS.5.SL.1.1: Engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions (one-on-one, in groups, and teacher-led) with diverse partners on grade 5 topics and texts, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly.
· LASF.5.SL.2.4: Report on a topic or text or present an opinion, sequencing ideas logically and using appropriate facts and relevant, descriptive details to support main ideas or themes; speak clearly at an understandable pace.