Standards Addressed in Lesson:
· LAFS.5.RI.1.3 Explain the relationship or interactions between two or more individuals, events, ideas, or concepts in a historical, scientific, or technical text based on specific information in the text.
· LAFS.5.RI.3.7 Draw on information from multiple print or digital sources, demonstrating the ability to locate an answer to a question quickly or to solve a problem efficiently.
· LAFS.5.RI.3.8 Explain how an author uses reasons and evidence to support particular points in a text, identifying which reasons and evidence support which point(s).
· LAFS.5.L.1.1 Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.
· LAFS.5.L.3.5 Demonstrate understanding of figurative language, word relationships, and nuances in word meanings.
· LAFS.5.SL.1.1: Engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions (one-on-one, in groups, and teacher-led) with diverse partners on grade 5 topics and texts, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly.
· SS.5.A.4.3: Identify significant individuals responsible for the development of the New England, Middle, and Southern colonies.
· SS.5.A.4.5: Explain the importance of Triangular Trade linking Africa, the West Indies, the British Colonies, and Europe.
· SS.5.A.4.6: Describe the introduction, impact, and role of slavery in the colonies.