Standards Addressed in Lesson:
· LAFS.5.RI.1.2: Determine two or more main ideas of a text and explain how they are supported by key details; summarize the text.
· LAFS.5.RI.2.4: Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including figurative language such as metaphors and similes.
· SS.5.A.3.2: Investigate (nationality, sponsoring country, motives, dates and routes of travel, accomplishments) the European explorers.
· SS.5.A.3.3: Describe interactions among Native Americans, Africans, English, French, Dutch, and Spanish for control of
· LAFS.5.SL.1.1: Engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions (one-on-one, in groups, and teacher-led) with diverse partners on grade 5 topics and texts, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly.
· LAFS.5.SL.1.2: Summarize a written text read aloud or information presented in diverse media and formats, including visually, quantitatively, and orally.
· LAFS.5.W.3.8: Recall relevant information from experiences or gather relevant information from print and digital sources; summarize or paraphrase information in notes and finished work, and provide a list of sources
· LAFS.5.L.1.1d: Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking