Standards Addressed in Lesson:
· LAFS.5.RL.1.3 – Compare and contrast two or more characters, settings, or events in a story or drama, drawing on specific details in the text (e.g. how characters act)
· LAFS.5.W.2.4 – Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development and organization are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience.
· LAFS.5.W.3.9 – Draw evidence from a literary or informational texts to support analysis, reflection, and research.
· LAFS.5.W.4.10 – Write routinely over extended time frames (time for research, reflection, and revision) and shorter time frames (a single sitting or a day or two) for a range of discipline-specific tasks, purposes, and audiences.
· LAFS.5.SL.1.1 – Engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions (one-on-one, in groups, and teacher-led) with diverse partners on grade 5 topics and texts, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly.
· LAFS.5.L.2.3 – Use knowledge of language and its conventions when writing, speaking, reading, or listening.
· LAFS.5.L.3.4 – Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on grade 5 reading and content, choosing flexibly from a range of strategies.
· LAFS.5.L.3.6 – Acquire and use accurately general academic and domain-specific words and phrases as found in grade level appropriate texts, including those that signal contrast, addition, and other logical relationships (e.g., however, although, nevertheless, similarly, moreover, in addition)
· SS.5.A.3.1 – Describe technological developments that shaped European exploration.
· SS.5.A.3.2: Investigate (nationality, sponsoring country, motives, dates and routes of travel, accomplishments) the European explorers.
· SS.5.A.3.3: Describe interactions among Native Americans, Africans, English, French, Dutch, and Spanish for control of North America.