· LAFS.5.RI.1.2: Determine two or more main ideas of a text and explain how they are supported by key details; summarize the text.
· LAFS.5.RL.3.9: Compare and contrast stories in the same genre on their approaches to similar themes and topics.
· LAFS.5.RL.1.2: Determine a theme of a story, drama, or poem from details in the text, including how characters in a story or drama respond to challenges or how the speaker in a poem reflects upon a topic, summarize the text.
· LAFS.5.L.3.4: Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple meaning words and phrases on grade 5 reading and content, choosing flexibly from a range of strategies.
· LAFS.5.SL.1.1: Engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions (one-on-one, in groups, and teacher-led) with diverse partners on grade 5 topics and texts, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly.