· LAFS.5.RI.3.8: Explain how an author uses reasons and evidence to support particular points in a text, identifying which reasons and evidence support which point(s).
· SS.5.A.6.1: Describe the causes and effects of the Louisiana Purchase.
· SS.5.A.6.2: Identify roles and contributions of significant people during the period of westward expansion.
· SS.5.A.6.4: Explain the importance of the explorations west of the Mississippi River.
· LAFS.5.SL.1.1: Engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions (one-on-one, in groups, and teacher-led) with diverse partners on grade 5 topics and texts, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly.