Standards Addressed in Lesson:
· LAFS.5.RI.2.4 – Determine the meaning of general academic and domain-specific words and phrases in a text relevant to a grade 5 topic or subject area.
· LAFS.5.W.3.9 – Draw evidence from a literary or informational texts to support analysis, reflection, and research.
· LAFS.5.SL.1.1 – Engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions (one-on-one, in groups, and teacher-led) with diverse partners on grade 5 topics and texts, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly.
· LAFS.5.L.3.4 – Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on grade 5 reading and content, choosing flexibly from a range of strategies.
· LAFS.5.L.3.6 – Acquire and use accurately general academic and domain-specific words and phrases as found in grade level appropriate texts, including those that signal contrast, addition, and other logical relationships (e.g., however, although, nevertheless, similarly, moreover, in addition)
· SS.5.A.4.5: Explain the importance of Triangular Trade linking Africa, the West Indies, the British Colonies, and Europe.
· SS.5.A.4.6: Describe the introduction, impact, and role of slavery in the colonies.
· SS.E.1.1: Identify how trade promoted economic growth in North America from pre-Columbian times to 1850