Standards Addressed in Lesson:
· LAFS.5.RI.2.5 – Compare and contrast the overall structure (e.g., chronology, comparison, cause/effect, problem/solution) of events, ideas, concepts, or information in two or more texts.
· LAFS.5.SL.1.1 – Engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions (one-on-one, in groups, and teacher-led) with diverse partners on grade 5 topics and texts, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly.
· LAFS.5.L.3.4 – Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on grade 5 reading and content, choosing flexibly from a range of strategies.
· LAFS.5.L.3.6 – Acquire and use accurately general academic and domain-specific words and phrases as found in grade level appropriate texts, including those that signal contrast, addition, and other logical relationships (e.g., however, although, nevertheless, similarly, moreover, in addition).
· LAFS.5.RI.1.1 Quote accurately from a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text
· SS.5.A.5.1: Identify and explain significant events leading up to the American Revolution.