- RI2.5 Describe the structure of a non-fiction text (chronological order, compare/contrast, cause/effect, problem/solution)
- RI1.2 Determine the main idea and supporting details of a nonfiction text
- RI1.1 Refer to details and examples in a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.
- W1.1 Write opinion pieces on topics or texts, supporting a point of view with reasons and evidence
SS.4.C.1.1 Describe how Florida’s constitution protects the rights of citizens and provides for the structure, function, and purposes of state government.
SS.4.C.3.1 Identify the three branches (Legislative, Judicial, Executive) of government in Florida and the powers of each.
|Learning Targets and Learning Criteria|
- Define text structure
- Understand that an author changes the structure of a text based on their purpose for writing
- Read a text and identify the text structure used by the author
- Review steps of writing an essay
- Attack the prompt by identify Purpose, Audience, Task (PAT)
- Rename noun and verb
- Analyze the texts and form opinion
- Learn how to create a planning sheet for an essay by identifying the topic, main ideas, and text evidence for supportive details
• describe the purpose of the Florida constitution. • explain how Florida’s constitution protects citizens’ rights. • show how elements of the Florida constitution guide the structure, function and purposes of state government.
• identify the legislative, judicial, and executive branches of Florida’s government. • compare powers of Florida’s three branches of government. • provide examples of actions taken by each of Florida’s three branches of government.
- Centers (silent reading, Freckle reading assignment, teacher small group, standards practice reading, standards practice craft)
- Nearpod assignment on Text Structures
- PPTs on a problem related to a National Park
- Begin research for National Park magazine
- Types of government comprehension quiz
- Center work-standards based practice and activity for text structures, Freckly text structure assignment
- Planning sheet for “Exotic Pets” opinion essay