- RL1.1 Refer to details and examples in a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text
- RL1.3 Describe in depth a character, setting, or event in a story, drawing on specific details in the text
- RL3.7 Make connections between the text of a story and an oral presentation of the text, identifying where each version reflects specific descriptions and directions in the text
- L3.4 Determine the meaning of unknown words and phrases based on reading and content
- LAFS.4.W.1.1: Write opinion pieces on topics or texts, supporting a point of view with reasons and information.
- SS2.1 Compare Native American tribes in Florida
|Learning Targets and Learning Criteria|
- After reading The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, identify characters, the setting, and the plot. Describe how the setting contributes to the plot and how the character’s traits help the plot to develop.
- After listening to an oral retelling of the story, compare and contrast descriptions from the oral version with descriptions from the book.
- Complete story map for Mystic Horse with character, setting, problem, important events, and resolution
- Write an in-depth description of a character from Mystic Horse using text evidence
- Define paraphrase, quote, and summary; practice writing each one based on a text
- Cite the text using a variety of evidence-based terms
- Distinguish between paraphrases, quotes, and summaries by reading examples and sorting into categories
- Learn about the Tocabaga tribe-where and how they lived, what they ate, their lifestyle, what happened to them
- Read Aloud Sleepy Hollow reader’s theater’s
- Frindle book study
- Whole- and small-group instruction
- Monday in class: deliver Reader’s Theater script fluently and with expression
- Monday and Tuesday in class: read article about Tocabaga and find the main idea of each section with accompanying details
- Tuesday in class: Sleepy Hollow Test on describing characters, settings, events, and referring to text details
- Thursday in class: answer text-based questions about Tocabaga Native Americans