- SL.2.4: Report on a topic or text, tell a story, or recount an experience in an organized manner, using appropriate facts and relevant, descriptive details to support main ideas or themes; speak clearly at an understandable pace.
- Explain events, procedures, ideas, or concepts in a historical, scientific, or technical text, including what happened and why, based on specific information in the text.
- Refer to details and examples in a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.
- Determine the main idea of a text and explain how it is supported by key details; summarize the text.
- Explain how an author uses reasons and evidence to support particular points in a text.
- Determine the meaning of general academic and domain-specific words or phrases in a text relevant to a grade 4 topic or subject area.
- W1.2 Write informative/explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas and information clearly
- a. Introduce a topic clearly and group related information in paragraphs and sections; include formatting (e.g., headings), illustrations, and multimedia when useful to aiding comprehension. b. Develop the topic with facts, definitions, concrete details, quotations, or other information and examples related to the topic. c. Link ideas within categories of information using words and phrases (e.g., another, for example, also, because). d. Use precise language and domain-specific vocabulary to inform about or explain the topic. e. Provide a concluding statement or section related to the information or explanation presented
- Identify explorers who came to Florida and the motivations for their expeditions
- demonstrate ability to report on a topic or text, tell a story, or recount an experience in an organized manner.
- demonstrate ability to use appropriate facts and relevant, descriptive details to support main ideas.
- demonstrate ability to use appropriate facts and relevant, descriptive details to support themes.
- demonstrate ability to speak clearly at understandable pace
- Identify the main idea of the ThinkCERCA text “Lynda Blackmon Lowery”
- Cite specific examples from the ThinkCERCA text when answering text-based questions
- Explain how Lynda Lowery’s actions impacted the fight for Civil Rights
- Use context to define unknown words used in the text
- Write a 5-paragraph essay based on writing rubric
- Essay should give information on the effect plastic has on the environment and ways we can help stop the problem
- Includes a clear introduction, support for topic in body paragraphs, and a conclusion related to the topic of plastic pollution
- Examine an essay to identify overused words and fix the essay by replacing the overused words with stronger, “juicier” synonyms
- Learn about the conflict between France and Spain in relation to occupation of Florida
- Identify French explorers and the purpose of their expeditions to Florida
- Investigate Spanish missions in Florida