Quarter 3 Week 24 (2/12-2/16)
Mark Your Calendar!
Friday is our field trip to St. Augustine! An informational letter will be sent home with students this week.
|Subject Area||ELA/Social Studies|
|Unit of Instruction||Greek Mythology/Plastic Pollution/St. Augustine|
- RL.1.3 Describe in depth a character, setting, or event in a story or drama, drawing on specific details in the text (e.g., a character’s thoughts, words, or actions).
- RL.1.1 Refer to details and examples in a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text
- RL.2.4 Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including those that allude to significant characters found in mythology (e.g., Herculean)
- W1.2 Write informative/explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas and information clearly
- a. Introduce a topic clearly and group related information in paragraphs and sections; include formatting (e.g., headings), illustrations, and multimedia when useful to aiding comprehension. b. Develop the topic with facts, definitions, concrete details, quotations, or other information and examples related to the topic. c. Link ideas within categories of information using words and phrases (e.g., another, for example, also, because). d. Use precise language and domain-specific vocabulary to inform about or explain the topic. e. Provide a concluding statement or section related to the information or explanation presented
- Identify the significance of St. Augustine as the oldest permanent European settlement in the US
- Identify the significance of Fort Mose as the first free African community in the US
|Learning Targets and Learning Criteria|
- Complete plastic pollution informational essay planning sheet with three main ideas, supporting text evidence, and reasoning
- complete introduction for essay and body paragraphs
- Summarize St. Augustine’s significance in FL and US history
- Describe Fort Mose’s role as the country’s first legally sanctioned free African settlement
- Summarize Fort Mose’s significance as a precursor site to the underground railroad
- Final living biography presentations
- Introduction to Greek Mythology unit
- Read Odysseus and the Bag of Winds
- Partner writing
- Plastic pollution-student speeches, posters, etc.
- Living biography presentation
- Cause and effect graphic organizer (3 causes, 3 effects, 1 main event)
- Odysseus and the Bag of Winds text-based questions
- Planning sheet for plastic pollution essay
- Introductions and body paragraph for plastic pollution essay