Week 18 12-18
I just wanted to thank all of you who have helped to donate to the classroom so far and have provided our class with materials for the STEM projects.
I also wanted to say how grateful I am to be your child’s teacher. I hope that you have a fun and safe holiday break.
I’ll be home for Christmas (Vermont), so expect to hear stories of snow when your children return to school. I’ll tell them all about it!
|Unit of Instruction||STEM/Native Americans|
Keep records that describe observations made, carefully distinguishing actual observations from ideas and inferences about the observations. SC.4.N.1.6
Compare the methods and results of investigations done by other classmates.SC.4.N.1.5
Apply the area and perimeter formulas for rectangles in real world and mathematical problems. For example, find the width of a rectangular room given the area of the flooring and the length, by viewing the area formula as a multiplication equation with an unknown factor. MAFS.4.MD.1.3
Fluently add and subtract multi-digit whole numbers using the standard algorithm. MAFS.4.NBT.2.4
Compare Native American tribes in Florida. SS.4.A.2.1
|Learning Targets and Learning Criteria|
• communicate observations and inferences (findings) with others in the classroom.
• critique each other’s findings through engaging discussions.
• compare the methods and results of other team investigations.
• formulate opinions, new ideas, and conclusions based on team comparisons.
• seek reasons to explain any differences that may have occurred.
• apply the area formula (A = l × w) in real world and mathematical situations.
• apply an understanding of addition and subtraction, place value, and flexibility with multiple strategies to use the standard algorithms for addition and subtraction.
• identify Florida’s different Native American tribes. Examples may include, but are not limited to, Apalachee, Calusa, Tequesta, Timucua, and Tocobaga.
• summarize the lifestyles of different Florida tribes.
Monday: Berube HR STEM Pentathlon
Tuesday: Barnes HR STEM Pentathlon
Wednesday: Holiday Math
Tuesday: Native American Museum show to Ms. Barnes HR