Multiply a whole number of up to four digits by a one-digit whole number, and multiply two two-digit numbers, using strategies based on place value and the properties of operations. Illustrate and explain the calculation by using equations, rectangular arrays, and/or area models.
Find whole-number quotients and remainders with up to four-digit dividends and one-digit divisors, using strategies based on place value, the properties of operations, and/or the relationship between multiplication and division. Illustrate and explain the calculation by using equations, rectangular arrays, and/or area models.
Keep records that describe observations made, carefully distinguishing actual observations from ideas and inferences about the observations.
Compare the observations made by different groups using multiple tools and seek reasons to explain the differences across groups.
|Learning Targets and Learning Criteria|
- Determine whether a whole number is a multiple of a given one-digit number.
- Generate a number pattern that follows a given rule.
- Identify features in patterns.
- Solve multi-step word problems that involve multiplication and/or division using strategies for this grade level (e.g, rectangular arrays, area models, properties of operations, etc).
- Represent a multi-step word problem using equations involving a variable represented by a letter for the unknown number.
- Interpret remainders that result from multi-step word problems.
- Assess the reasonableness of answers to multi-step word problems using estimation strategies and mental computation.
8. Use manipulatives or drawings of rectangular arrays and/or array models to solve and explain multi-digit multiplication problems that extend to 4-digit by 1-digit or up to 2-digit by 2-digit.
9. Solve multi-digit multiplication problems that extend to 2-digit by 2-digit or up to 4-digit by 1-digit using a variety of strategies.
Record observations, make inferences, communicate findings, critique and engage in discussions, identify tools & demonstrate.
Math Centers (Math Games, App “Media” Resources, Teacher Time, Hands-On Activities)
Math Reference Notebooks (Multiplication)
Multiplication Powerpoint on Communitive and Distributive Property
Multiplication Facts timed test
Math Book p.135-138, 141-144
Science Digital Lesson #4 and #5 with quizzes
Science Unit #1 Review and Summative Assessment
Math Weekly Homework (Multiplication) Q1: Week 4
Math Homework is on p.139-140 and p. 145-146
Partial Products Packet