|Subject Area||Math and Science|
|Unit of Instruction||Place value, reading writing and comparing numbers, rounding, adding, subtracting/Scientific Method, Earth and sun|
Recognize that in a multi-digit whole number, a digit in one place represents ten times what it represents in the place to its right. For example, recognize that 700 ÷ 70 = 10 by applying concepts of place value and division.
Read and write multi-digit whole numbers using base-ten numerals, number names, and expanded form. Compare two multi-digit numbers based on meanings of the digits in each place, using >, =, and < symbols to record the results of comparisons.
Use place value understanding to round multi-digit whole numbers to any place.
Explain that science does not always follow a rigidly defined method (“the scientific method”) but that science does involve the use of observations and empirical evidence.
|Learning Targets and Learning Criteria|
• read and write multi-digit numbers through 1,000,000 in base-ten numerals, number names, and expanded form.
• compare two multi-digit numbers to 1,000,000 using place value and record the comparison numerically using the following symbols: <, >, or =.
• understand that the purpose of rounding to estimate before adding or subtracting is to make mental math easier and to check the reasonableness of an answer.
• use place value understanding to round multi-digit whole numbers (between 1,000 and 1,000,000) to any place.
• record observations of an object and/or an event in a science notebook using a variety of data collection tools (e.g., diagrams, charts, graphs).
• make inferences based on observations.
• distinguish observations from inferences.
• communicate observations and inferences with others in the classroom.
• critique each other’s findings through engaging discussions.
Lesson 3 Comparing numbers
Identifying place value
Read and write numbers
Lesson 5 Rounding
IXL in class practice
Finish i-Ready Diagnostic
Chapter 1 Test
Multiplication timed test
Review math skills
Chapter 1 retests
3 minute multiplication drill
Science video and response
Collecting and graphing data
In class study time with Kahoot
Scientific Method Vocabulary retakes
Solar System BrainPop
Study for science vocab retakes on Friday
Copy moon phases on observation journal
Week 3 math sheet