Symphonic Band (2nd/5th Period) Q1
||Symphonic Band (2nd and 5th Period)
||Week 1-9 (August 13th through October 12th)
|Unit of Instruction
||Rehearsal Procedures, Posture, Music Theory and Scales
- MU.68.C.1.1 – Develop strategies for listening to unfamiliar works.
- MU.68.C.2.1 – Critique personal performance, experiment with a variety of solutions, and make appropriate adjustments with guidance from teachers and peers
- MU.68.C.2.2 – Correct using correct music vocabulary, changes in one’s own or others’ musical performance resulting from practice or rehearsal
- MU.68.S.2.2 – Transfer performance techniques from familiar to unfamiliar pieces
- MU.68.S.3.1 – Sing/Play age-appropriate repertoire expressively
- MU.68.S.3.5 – Notate rhythmic phrases and/or melodies, in varying simple meters, performed by someone else.
- Review knowledge of theoretical principles (notes, rests, staff, etc.)
- Review appropriate embouchure (wind instruments) or grip (percussion)
- Review rhythmic pulse principles
- Review principles of intonation and tone and how to make appropriate adjustments in each
- Perform daily warm-up exercises which promote tone production, ensemble balance and blend.
- Demonstrate the ability to start, stop, and alter tempo and dynamics at the conductor’s command
- Perform G,C,F,Bb,Eb,Ab, and Db major scales with arpeggios.
- Describe and demonstrate a variety of articulations without noticeable movement on chin, jaw, or throat.
- Perform a variety of repertoire at FBA Grade 1 or 2 level
Students are given a weekly participation grade. To receive full credit, students must have their instruments, materials, music ready for class. Students must also demonstrate a positive and constructive attitude towards themselves and classmates, and participate with proper posture.
August 27th – Band Handbook Signatures are DUE! A copy of the handbook is attached at the Bottom
Starting at the end of August, weekly scale tests are to be performed for a grade. Students will demonstrate correct posture, correct embouchure, perform with a steady tempo, playing the proper notes with a full, characteristic tone, and the prescribed articulations.
Worksheets and other written assignments will be given out to reinforce what we are learning in class.
October 5th – We have been invited by Mr. Todd Mastric and the Deltona High School Band to participate in their High School Middle School Night starting at 4:45 PM. We will also be joined by students from Galaxy Middle and Deltona Middle School. Students will wear their Ivy Hawn Band Shirt (Or Burgundy Ivy Hawn Shirt) with Jeans and tennis shoes. We will have a short rehearsal with the Deltona High School band, march to the field, play in the stands, and play with the band during halftime! The game starts at 7:00. It is mandatory for all Ivy Hawn Symphonic Band Members. Permission slips are DUE WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 3rd! If you need to talk with me or have any questions, please feel free to contact me.
Deltona High School Middle School Night 2018
Deltona High School Middle School Night Permission Slip
Music for Middle School Night
Shout It Out
Lets Go Wolves
Down the Field
RECOMMENDED: Students should practice for 20-30 minutes daily. Playing on their instrument everyday develops and reinforces what they learn in class, and helps them retain the information presented in class, or the pieces, exercises that they perform.
Band Handbook – Ivy Hawn Band Handbook
MUSIC: If your student does not have their music, feel free to download and print off so they can come to class prepared
Parts – Warm Ups
Little Brazil Suite [Andrew Balent]
Atlantis [Anne McGinty]
Ceremonium [Robert W. Smith]
America, the Beautiful [John Kinyon]
Band Basics in F
Band Basics in Eb
Band Basics in Bb
Band Basics in Ab
Below is the attachment to our Snap-Raise Fundraiser. The donations received from this fundraiser will go toward new music stands, instrument repairs/upgrades, and hiring clinicians to help out with our students! Our campaign goes until October 10th! If you have any questions, please let me know!
Ivy Hawn Band Snap Raise Fundraiser