MIDDLE SCHOOL DANCE SYLLABUS:
Senior Dance Team – 1st Semester 2019
Welcome to Senior Dance Team! This semester dancers can expect to develop gains in technique, strength, and lots of choreography! We will begin with a review of the basics of a proper dance class, focusing on the techniques of ballet, jazz, and contemporary. We will also dive right in to our competition/performance choreography. This class will be very fast paced with opportunities for independent study. Be prepared to work hard and grow as a dancer and a team!
To successfully complete this course, you will need:
• A 3-pronged binder
• Please stock your binder with notebook paper, tab dividers, and label it with your name
• 2lb. ankle weights
• 100 index cards
Required Dancewear Items:
• Tan split sole jazz shoes (girls only-capezio E-series slip on jazz shoe in caramel)
• Tan (caramel) stirrup tights (girls-capezio ultra soft stirrup tights in caramel)
• Pink transition tights (girls)
• Pink canvas split sole ballet shoes (girls)
• Leotards for ballet class days
• Boys: Black or white solid tshirt, black jazz pants or black sweatpants, black socks, Black canvas split sole ballet shoes, and black slip on jazz shoes (not lace up)
• Girls – Hair secured in a ponytail, braid, or bun for class
• All dance wear items can be ordered through PrimaDance, discountdance.com, or Raise the Barre dance boutique
**Monday Attire: The 1st Monday of each month dancers will need to wear their team leotard with pink tights – girls/ team t-shirt and shorts – boys for ballet class. All other Mondays dancers may wear any leotard of their choice with pink tights – girls, solid t-shirt of choice and shorts – boys.
*Please have materials in class no later than the first week of September.
Students will be graded on:
• Class Participation/Effort – Daily Grade
• Dance Performances – Self assessment
• Peer Assessments
• Independent Research Assignments
• Skill Assessments
• Dancers will have respect for teacher and fellow dancers
• Dancers will be focused and positive in class
• The following will NOT be tolerated:
o Gum Chewing
o Improper dance attire
o Bad Attitude
We are so lucky to have two periods for dance team! Here is how the week will go:
• Mondays and Thursdays will be technique class days – we will alternate technique days of: ballet, jazz, conditioning, turns, and leaps
• Tuesdays and Fridays will be choreography days for competition and performance pieces
• Wednesdays are shorter class periods, so we will use those days for conditioning and learning about dance – history, vocabulary, anatomy and physiology, etc.
You may contact Mrs. Kushner via email at email@example.com. Be sure to connect to our senior team remind by texting @29ee64 to 81010.