MAFS.7.NS.1.1: Apply and extend previous understandings of addition and subtraction to add and subtract rational numbers; represent addition and subtraction on a horizontal or vertical number line diagram.
|Learning Targets and Learning Criteria|
- Students will learn how to multiply and divide decimals
- Students will understand that it is not necessary to line up decimals when multiplying decimals
- Students will understand that when we divide, if the divisor is a decimal, we need to “move” the decimal by multiplying by ten until the divisor is a whole number and then we must move the decimal in the dividend the same number of places
- I will introduce multiplying decimals and highlight the fact that we do not need to line up decimals as we did with addition
- I will model examples
- I will then introduce dividing with decimals and demonstrate moving the decimal of the divisor until it is a whole number and then moving the decimal in the dividend the same number of places
- We will then use task cards to let students practice multiplying and dividing with decimals
- We will play Math Jeopardy in teams (the one on decimals and also fractions/decimals/percentages)
- I will review adding and subtracting with decimals
- Students will do an “Answer, Find, and Shade” activity to practice adding and subtracting decimals
“Answer, Find, and Shade” activity due at the end of class on Thursday, September 13
All IEP and ESOL accommodations will be provided daily.