– Analyze how an author develops and contrasts the points of view of different characters or narrators in a text.
– Analyze how particular elements of a story interact.
– Determine two or more central ideas in a text and analyze their development over the course of the text. Provide an objective summary of the text.
– Analyze the interactions between events, ideas, and individuals in the text.
– Engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions.
– Demonstrate understanding of figurative language, word relationships, and nuances in word meanings.
– Use technology.
– Study and application of vocabulary during reading and writing.
– Analyze how the setting of the novel shapes the characters’ development.
– Discuss author’s use of literary techniques.
– Students will: Describe the setting of the novel, discuss the characters studied, evaluate what is familiar or believable about the characters, discuss what is unusual about the characters’ circumstances, discuss the primary theme of the novel, determine the point of context that they have recognized in the story, decide how this novel relates to what they know from their own life experiences, and demonstrate an understanding of main ideas, events, or themes of the novel.
– Complete an end of novel project. Project rubric consists of: Creativity, organization, content, and quality/effort.
– Compare and contrast The Outsiders in written form to the film version.
Readings, discussions, and vocabulary daily.
The Outsiders – Nothing Gold Can Stay by Robert Frost (Analysis)
Nature’s first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf’s a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf,
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day
Nothing gold can stay.
Students have 2 packets. The Outsiders Reading Questions and The Outsiders Vocabulary Booklet. The questions and vocabulary are broken down by chapter. Periodic packet checks will take place. Students will take weekly vocabulary/spelling tests and an end of novel test.
Thursday, May 3 – The Outsiders Movie
Friday, May 4 – The Outsiders project