– Present claims and findings, emphasizing salient points in a focused, coherent manner with pertinent descriptions, facts, details, and examples; use appropriate eye contact, adequate volume, and clear pronunciation.
– Analyze the structure an author uses to organize a text, including how the major sections contribute to the whole and to the development of the ideas.
– Trace and evaluate the argument and specific claims in a text, assessing whether the reasoning is sound and the evidence is relevant and sufficient to support the claims.
– Use common, grade-appropriate Greek or Latin affixes and roots as clues to the meaning of a word.
– Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.
– Engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions with diverse partners on grade 7 topics, texts, and issues, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly.
– Use a comma to separate coordinate adjectives.
Monday, August 28 – Persuasive Speeches
Handout – Greek & Latin Root Words
Tuesday, August 29 – ThinkCERCA Baseline Writing Assessment
Wednesday, August 30 – Commas and Coordinating Conjunctions. Sentence Types.
Thursday, August 31 – Florida Collections: “Why Exploring the Ocean is Mankind’s Next Giant Leap.”
ThinkCERCA reading assignments due.
Friday, September 1 – Teacher Duty Day