– Analyze how a drama’s or poem’s form or structure (e.g., soliloquy, sonnet) contributes to its meaning.
– Engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions with diverse partners on grade 7 topics, texts, and issues, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly.
Analyze Form: Lyric Poem
– Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including figurative and connotative meanings; analyze the impact of rhymes and other repetitions of sounds on a specific verse or stanza of a poem or section of a story or drama.
– Understand and appreciate poetry as a literary art form.
– Analyze the various elements of poetry, such as diction, tone, form, genre, imagery, figures of speech, symbolism, theme, etc.
– Identify a variety of forms and genres of poetry from diverse cultures and historic periods, such as haiku, tanka, sonnets, ballads, dramatic monologues, free verse, etc.
– Recognize the rhythms, metrics and other musical aspects of poetry.
– Read and discuss selected poems in translation.
– Apply the principles of literary criticism to the analysis of poetry.
– Broaden their vocabularies to develop an appreciation of language and its connotations and denotations.
– Develop their critical thinking skills.
– Develop a deeper appreciation of cultural diversity by introducing them to poetry from a variety of cultures throughout the world.
– Develop their own creativity and enhance their writing skills.
Writing Poetry: (Students will learn 21 formats.)
Cinquin, Diamante, Haiku, Tanka, Bio Poem, Alliteration, Septet, Clerihew, Limerick, Pensee, and Acrostic.
Reading Poetry: (Florida Collections)
Text Set: Poetry, p. 169
“Ode to Enchanted Light,” p. 170
“Sleeping in the Forest,” p. 172
“Icarus’s Flight,” p. 40
“The Song of Wandering Aengus,” p. 72
“Sonnet 43,” p. 74
The Tempest, p. 145
“Your World,” p. 213
“Dump,” p. 241
“How Things Work,” p. 245
“Poem for My Librarian, Mrs. Long,” p. 329
Friday, March 23 – Spelling homework/test.
Friday, March 30 – Spelling homework/test. Poetry packet and project.
Spelling – Week 9 (3/23) Spelling – Week 10 (3/30)