November 27-December 3, 2017
3 Explanation – Atmosphere
5 Evaluation – Atmosphere Homework
|Subject Area||Comprehensive Science 1|
|Unit of Instruction||Earth Systems and Patterns|
Differentiate and show interactions among the geosphere, hydrosphere, cryosphere, atmosphere, and biosphere.
Differentiate and describe the various interactions among Earth systems, including: atmosphere, hydrosphere, cryosphere, geosphere, and biosphere.
Describe how the composition and structure of the atmosphere protects life and insulates the planet.
Identify environmental factors that affect personal health.
|Learning Targets and Learning Criteria|
• differentiate among the Earth’s
• describe the interactions between the geosphere, hydrosphere, cryosphere, atmosphere, and biosphere
1. interactions include transfer of energy (biogeochemical cycles, water cycle, ground and surface waters, photosynthesis, radiation, plate tectonics, conduction, and convection), storms, winds, waves, erosion, currents, deforestation and wildfires, hurricanes, tsunamis, volcanoes
• describe the composition and structure of the Earth’s atmosphere
• describe the functions of the four main layers of Earth’s atmosphere:
o Thermosphere, Mesosphere, Stratosphere, Troposphere
• explain how Earth’s atmosphere protects life and insulates the planet including the ozone layer
• discuss the impacts to life if Earth’s atmosphere is compromised due to climate change and ozone depletion
• identify how air and water quality (and other environmental factors) affect personal health
Layers of the Atmosphere
Sphere’s of the Earth System