|Subject Area||Honors Math|
|Unit of Instruction||Proportionality, Ratios, and Rates|
Understand the concept of a ratio and use ratio language to describe a ratio relationship between two quantities.
Compute unit rates associated with ratios of fractions, including ratios of lengths, areas, and other quantities measured in like or different units.
|Learning Targets and Learning Criteria|
• understand that a ratio is an ordered pair of non-negative numbers, which are not both zero.
• explain the relationship that a ratio represents.
• create multiple ratios from a context in which more than two quantities are given and conceive of real-world contextual situations to match a given ratio (equivalent ratio tables, tape diagrams, double number line diagram).
• write a ratio that describes a relationship between two quantities.
• compute a unit rate by iterating (repeating) or partitioning given rate.
• compute a unit rate by multiplying or dividing both quantities by the same factor.
• explain the relationship between using composed units and a multiplicative comparison to express a unit rate.
• use measures of lengths and areas to calculate unit rates with the given context.
This week we will be starting our Ratio unit. Students will also be exposed to their first of the “pre-algebra” standards. These standards will be progressively integrated into the curriculum through the rest of the year. Students will complete notebook activities and use MathSpace to practice concepts as well as other hands-on experiences to further master the concepts in this unit.
Students will be given a homework assignment via MathSpace on Thursday 10-30-17
“Unit Rate Homework 1 Due 11/6/17”
If additional help is needed, students are encouraged to view a lesson regarding a given topic on Khan Academy. This website is free and provides both video instruction as well as practice problems.
Students are able to complete additional practice on both Mathspace and IXL
Teacher Contact information:
**** Accommodations provided as needed