MAFS.8.EE.3.7: Solve linear equations in one variable.
a. Give examples of linear equations in one variable with one solution, infinitely many solutions, or no solutions. Show which of these possibilities is the case by successively transforming the given equation into simpler forms, until an equivalent equation of the form x=a, a=a or a=b results (where a and b are different numbers).
b. Solve linear equations with rational number coefficients, including equations whose solutions require expanding expressions using the distributive property and collecting like terms.
|Learning Targets and Learning Criteria|
- solve a linear equation with one solution, no solution, and infinitely many solutions.
- explain when an equation has one solution, no solution, and infinitely many solutions.
- simplify equations using distributive property, combining like terms, and inverse operations.
- solve multi-step linear equations with rational number coefficients.
- We will Inverse Operations and Properties of Equalities
- We will look at IXL’s Y.7 and Y.6 to understand those
- We will put together the Solving Equations Flipbook
- We will fill in the pages on One-Step and Two-Step Equations
- Students will do IXL Y.8
- Review distributive property (3rd period do notes)
- They do IXL V.13
- We will play Two Step-Equation Top It
- We will fill in Flip Book on Multi-Step Equations
- Then we will do written notes on Solving Multi-Step Equations (the six steps)
- Students will do task cards
- IXL Y.8
- IXL V.13
- Multi-Step Equations Task Cards
All IEP and ESOL accommodations will be provided daily.
Khan Academy videos – type any topic in search bar followed by Khan Academy to find an instructional video for additional support. https://www.khanacademy.org/
IXL – Provides support for any grade level math standard.
Edgenuity – https://www.edgenuity.com/