MAFS.8.SP.1.1: Construct and interpret scatter plots for bivariate measurement data to investigate patterns of association between two quantities. Describe patterns such as clustering, outliers, positive or negative association, linear association, and nonlinear association.
MAFS.8.SP.1.2: Know that straight lines are widely used to model relationships between two quantitative variables. For scatter plots that suggest a linear association, informally fit a straight line, and informally assess the model fit by judging the closeness of the data points to the line.
MAFS.8.SP.1.3: Use the equation of a linear model to solve problems in the context of bivariate measurement data, interpreting the slope and intercept.
|Learning Targets and Learning Criteria|
- construct a scatter plot by plotting ordered pairs on a coordinate grid representing the relationship between two data sets.
- describe patterns in the plotted points such as clustering, outliers, positive or negative association, and linear or non-linear association and describe the pattern in the context of the measurement data.
- explain the patterns of association of scatter plots of bivariate data in the context of the data sample.
- construct straight trend lines to approximate the linear relationship between the plotted points of two data sets.
- justify the reliability of the trend line by noting the closeness of the data points to the line.
- understand that the trend line does not have to be proportional.
- determine the equation of the trend line that approximates the linear relationship between the plotted points of two data sets.
- interpret the y-intercept and slope of the equation in the context of the collected data.
- use the equation of the trend line to summarize the given data and make predictions regarding additional data points.
- Students will log onto the Zoom session
- We will review functions and do a Kahoot to review.:
- Students will take the FSA Writing test.
- Students will log onto the Zoom session.
- Students will do a note page on Scatterplots
- Students will do a Nearpod lesson (“Construct and Interpret Scatter Plots”)
- Students will do a worksheet Scatter Plot Practice
- Students will do IXL’s CC.15, CC.16, and CC.17
- Summative on Functions
- Nearpod Lesson on Scatter Plots
- IXL’s CC.15, CC.16, and CC.17
All IEP and ESOL accommodations will be provided daily.
Khan Academy videos – type any topic in search bar followed by Khan Academy to find an instructional video for additional support. https://www.khanacademy.org/
IXL – Provides support for any grade level math standard.
Edgenuity – https://www.edgenuity.com/