MAFS.8.G.3.9: Know the formulas for the volumes of cones, cylinders, and spheres and use them to solve real-world and mathematical problems.
|Learning Targets and Learning Criteria|
- describe the similarity between finding the volume of a cylinder and the volume of a right prism. (volume is A*h)
- derive the formula to find the volume of a cylinder, a cone, and a sphere
- Informally prove the relationship between the volume of a cylinder and the volume of a cone with the same base; and the volume of a sphere and the volume or a circumscribed cylinder.
- use the formulas to find the volume of cylinders, cones, and spheres.
- solve real-world problems involving the volume of cylinders, cones, and spheres.
- Please watch the Zoom Recorded video I made on Volume of Cones Part 2 (finding the radius or height): https://us02web.zoom.us/rec/share/99Z5Kez02F9JWImdxkHEc6URRar3T6a80yQY_aEOnU7RWOTeq5jMJoZ_vzE6VHQ3?startTime=1588449955000 (This is a new video I made which shows how to find the radius or the height when they give you the volume–you will want to watch this video and the one I shared last week in order to do this IXL)
- Do IXL T.11 Volume of Cones (this was assigned last week, but many of you did not finish–if you did, finish an iReady that you need to finish)
- Watch the follow YouTube video on “How to Find the Volume of a Sphere”:
- https://youtu.be/UTQjzA9BQeM (write the formula for volume of a sphere in your notes)
- Then go into Gradebook and look for the Assignment Volume of Spheres, click on the attached file and do the eight practice problems on the worksheet and then check your answers. (You do not have to print the sheets, you can just do your work on paper, using the formula you learned from watching the video)
- Please complete the CPalms tutorial “Volume of Spherical Bubble Tea” on: https://www.floridastudents.org/PreviewResource/StudentResource/173559
- When you complete the tutorial, please take a picture or a screenshot of the completion certificate and share it with me on Remind
- Do IXL T.14 Volume of Spheres
- Today is going to be a catch up day for you to finish any missing assignments you may have. I am also going to have a Zoom help session at 12:00 noon for people who have questions about any of the assignments you have. Please join me on Zoom at noon if you need some help! I will send the codes on Friday!
- IXL T.11
- Volume of Spheres practice
- CPalms Tutorial “Volume of Spherical Bubble Tea”
- IXL T.14
- Prodigy Practice
All IEP and ESOL accommodations are provided daily.