|Subject Area||Elementary Dance|
|Unit of Instruction||The 5 Elements of Dance|
|Learning Targets and Learning Criteria|
I Spy With My Little Eye
THE 5 ELEMENTS OF DANCE!
*Watch the one of the Youtube videos provided and answer the questions the best you can. You may use your own piece of paper. You may email me your answers. Please write in full complete sentences. Feel free to look at the ‘Elements of Dance’ guide if need some help remembering the different parts of the elements. This assignment is due by April 30th. If you have any questions, feel free to email me or message me through remind. I will be more than happy to help you out!*
1. The dance I watched was?
2. Body: What Locomotor and Non-Locomotor movements did you see?
3. What sort of ‘Space’ do the dancers use?
4. What was the ‘Time’/Tempo of the dance? Was the dance fast or slow? Did the dance and music speed up or slow down?
5. What was the ‘Energy’ of the dancer’s movements. Are the movements sharp and hard or easy and smooth?
6. What ‘Relationship’ did the dancers have in the dance? How did the interact with each other?
Elements of Dance Guide
· body: body awareness, use of body parts, body shapes, locomotor and non-locomotor movements,body bases, symmetry versus asymmetry, geometric versus organic shape, angular versus curvedshape, isolation of body parts (e.g., moving just the shoulder when the rest of the body is still),weight transfer (e.g., lunge, leap, roll)
· space: levels, pathways, directions, positive versus negative space, proximity of dancers to one another,various group formations, performance space (e.g., confined, large)
· time: pause, freeze, with music, without music, duration, rhythm, tempo, acceleration/deceleration
· energy: effort, force, quality, inaction versus action, percussion, fluidity (e.g., wring, dab, mould,flow, bind)
· relationship: dancers to objects, opposition, groupings (e.g., large and small groups), meet/part,follow/lead, emotional connections between dancers, groupings
** YOU ONLY NEED TO PICK ONE **