Standards Addressed in Lesson:
• LAFS.5.RL.1.2 – Determine a theme of a story, drama, or play form details in the text, including how characters in a story or drama respond to challenges.
• LAFS.5.W.3.9 – Draw evidence from literary texts to support analysis and reflection.
• LAFS.5.SL.5.1 – Engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions (one-on-one, in groups, and teacher-led) with diverse partners on grade 5 topics and texts, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly.
c. Pose and respond to specific questions by making comments that contribute to the discussion and elaborate on the remarks of others.
d. Review the key ideas expressed and draw conclusions in light of information and knowledge gained from the discussions.
• LAFS.5.L.3.4 – Use Greek and Latin affixes and roots as clues to the meaning of a word.
• LAFS.5.L.3.6 – Acquire and use academic and domain-specific words and phrases.
• SS.5.A.3.1 – Describe technological developments that shaped European exploration.
• SS.5.A.3.2 – Investigate (nationality, sponsoring country, motives, dates and routes of travel, accomplishments) the European explorers.
• SS.5.A.3.3 – Describe interactions among Native American, Africans, English, French, Dutch, and Spanish for control of North America.
Explorer – n. a person who travels in search of new places and information
Scurvy – n. a disease many explorers got from lack of important vitamins and nutrients
Compass – n. a device used for navigation that indicates magnetic north
Journal – n. brief recorded account of daily events
Astrolabe – n. object used to measure the position of the stars
Sandglass – n. tool used for keeping time on a ship
Artifact – an object made and used by humans in the past
Age of Exploration – a time in the 1400-1600’s when many countries began exploring unknown areas of the world
Native – the first people to live in an area
Trade – to exchange one thing for another
**All plans subject to change**
ALL IEP and ESOL accommodations will be provided daily.
If you have not yet signed up for my classroom Remind, please do so. Text @19Bartlett to 81010