Standards Addressed in Lesson:
· ELA.5.V.1.1 – recognize/use academic vocabulary in speaking and writing
· ELA.5.V.1.3 – apply knowledge of Greek and Latin Roots and affixes, recognizing the connection between affixes and parts of speech, to determine meaning.
· ELA.5.R.1.2 – compare/contrast how authors from different time periods address the same or related topics.
· ELA.5.R.1.4 – Explain how figurative language and other poetic elements work together in a poem.
· ELA.5.R.2.1 – explain how text structure and/or features contribute to overall meaning
· ELA.5.R.2.2 – explain how relevant details support the central idea(s)
· ELA.5.R.3.2b – summarize to enhance comprehension
· ELA.5.F.1.3 – apply knowledge of letter-sound correspondences, syllabication patterns, and morphology to read/write unfamiliar single-syllable and multisyllabic words
· ELA.5.F.1.4 – read with accuracy, automaticity, and prosody or expression
· ELA.5.C.1.1 – demonstrate fluent and legible cursive writing skills
· ELA.5.C.1.3 – Write to make a claim supporting a perspective with logical reasons, relevant evidence from sources, elaboration, organizational structure with varied transitions.
· ELA.5.C.1.5 – improve writing by planning, revising, and editing
· ELA.5.C.2.1 – Present information orally, in a logical sequence, using nonverbal cues, appropriate volume, clear pronunciation, and appropriate pacing.
· ELA.5.C.3.1 – Follow the rules of standard English grammar, punctuation, capitalization, and spelling appropriate to grade level.
· ELA.5.C.4.1 – conduct research to answer a question, organize information about a topic and using multiple reliable and valid sources.
· SS.5.A.4.1 – Identify the economic, political and socio-cultural motivation for colonial settlement.
· SS.5.A.4.2 – Compare characteristics of New England, Middle, and Southern colonies.
· SS.5.A.4.3 – Identify significant individuals responsible for the development of the New England, Middle, and Southern colonies.
· SS.5.A.4.4 – Demonstrate an understanding of political, economic, and social aspects of daily colonial life in the thirteen colonies.
· SS.5.A.4.5 – Explain the importance of Triangular Trade linking Africa, the West Indies, the British Colonies, and Europe.
· SS.5.A.4.6 – Describe the introduction, impact, and role of slavery in the colonies.