Standards Addressed in Lesson:
• SS.5.A.6.1 – Describe the causes and effects of the Louisiana Purchase.
• SS.5.A.6.2 – Identify roles and contributions of significant people during the period of westward expansion.
• SS.5.A.6.3 – Examine 19th century advancements (canals, roads, steamboats, flat boats, overland wagons, Pony Express, railroads) in transportation and communication.
• SS.5.A.6.4 – Explain the importance of the explorations west of the Mississippi River.
• SS.5.A.6.5 – Identify the causes and effects of the War of 1812.
• SS.5.A.6.6 – Explain how westward expansion affected Native Americans.
• SS.5.A.6.7 – Discuss the concept of Manifest Destiny.
• SS.5.A.6.8 – Describe the causes and effects of the Missouri Compromise.
• SS.5.A.6.9 – Describe the hardships of settlers along the overland trails to the west.
• LAFS.5.RI.1.1 – Quote accurately from a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.
• LAFS.5.RI.1.3 – Explain the relationships or interactions between two or more individuals, events, ideas, or concepts in a historical, scientific, or technical text based on specific information in the text.
• LAFS.5.RI.2.4 – Determine the meaning of general academic and domain-specific words and phrases in a text relevant to a grade 5 topic or subject area.
• LAFS.5.RI.3.9 – Integrate information from several texts on the same topic in order to write or speak about the subject knowledgeably.
• LAFS.5.RL.1.1 – Quote accurately from a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.
• LAFS.5.RL.2.4 – Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including figurative language such as metaphors and similes.
• LAFS.5.SL.1.2 – Summarize a written text read aloud or information presented in diverse media and formats, including visually, quantitatively, and orally.
• Explain what Westward expansion was.
• Describe pioneers and give details about their journeys.
• Explain what the Louisiana Purchase was.
• Describe the purpose and results of the Lewis and Clark expeditions.
• Explain the causes, events, and effects of the War of 1812 as it relates to Westward Expansion.
• Describe characters and how they are similar and different.
• Summarize a portion of a text.
Know how to spell all words as well as the definition for each word.
1. ague – (n) a fever that makes you shake and feel cold
2. quinine – (n) a drug used for treating fevers
3. retorted – (v) replied quickly in an angry or humorous way
4. grave – (adj) looking or sounding quiet and serious, especially because something important or worrying has happened
5. reticule – a woman’s small handbag, originally netted and typically having a drawstring and decorated with embroidery or beading
6. ticks – (n) bedding made from feathers that is traditionally placed on top of mattresses to make them softer
7. hemming – (v) to hem something in is to surround someone or something closely
8. riffled – (v) disturbed the surface of; ruffled
9. bedraggled – (adj) looking untidy, wet, and dirty, especially because you have been out in the rain
10. homespun – (adj) woven at home
**All plans are subject to change**
**Please see Canvas if you are out more than a day or two to complete work**
ALL IEP and ESOL accommodations will be provided daily.
If you have not yet signed up for my classroom Remind, please do so. Text @21mrsdb to 81010