WEEK 4: April 20-24
Mrs. de Rose’s email:
Office Hours: 10:00-11:30 and 1:30-3:00. This is when I will be available to answer questions through email, teams, or remind. If needed, we can even schedule a video conference through Teams to help with work or answer questions. Parents OR students 🙂
Please join us on remind at https://www.remind.com/join/derose5
– LAFS.5.RI.3.7; LAFS.5.W.3.9a; LAFS.5.SL.1.1.d; LAFS.5.L.3.4b; LAFS.5.L.3.6
· Students will analyze how visual and multimedia elements contribute to the meaning, tone, or beauty of a text
· Students will Compare and contrast two or more characters, settings, or events in a story or a drama, drawing on specific details in the text
· Students will use Greek and Latin affixes and roots as clues to the meaning of a word.
· Students will acquire and use academic and domain specific words and phrases.
Weekly grades will be taken from all weekly work completed and submitted to the teacher either through email or digital platforms. The weekly assignments will be added together and an average score will be given as the weekly assessment score.
- Monday: 45 minutes of i-Ready. Log on through v Portal. You should be able to complete 1 or 2 lessons and quizzes.
- Tuesday: Ready Reading Lesson 21 Power Point. Use the power point titled Lesson 21 under files – class materials – in Teams to complete this lesson. You will follow along with the power point. If you do not have your book, print off the pages from the resources below. There are no papers you need to turn in to me.
- Wednesday: 20 min on www.ixl.com skills W.4 and EE.4 and 20 min on www.newsela.com. Read the assigned article “10 Year Old Cleans Beaches” and complete the 4 comprehension questions. You do not need to do the written response question. Remember to follow the sign in directions for Newsela and IXL that you can find on this document Digital Platforms Access Cheat Sheet You can also find it in Teams under files and on Classroom Connect. There is nothing you need to turn in I can see who completed the assignments and their time spent on the activities online.
- Thursday: Paragraph Writing. We are going to work on writing well-formed paragraphs. Follow this link to go to Nearpod.com and use the code DZSLX to complete the lesson. You will be writing your paragraphs in the nearpod so there is no need to turn in any other work to me. I will see what you wrote in the nearpod. Remember to follow the sign in directions for Nearpod that you can find on this document Digital Platforms Access Cheat Sheet. You can also find it in Teams under files and on Classroom Connect.
- Friday: Read pgs. 392-395 in your Ready Reading book or use the attachment below to view the passages. Use the passages to complete the quiz on GoFormative “Ready Reading Lesson 21” it has already been assigned to you. Follow this link and sign in using the class join code WCOANC and your 1alpha as your username and password. There is no written response this week.
Lesson 21 Printable Pages
Lesson 21 Assessment Printable Assessment Pages
Newsela Article 10 Year Old Kid Cleans Beaches’ Printable Pages
Standards: SS.5.A.6.4; SS.5.A.6.7; SS.A.5.A.6.2
- Students will be able to write about and discuss the concept of the Manifest Destiny
- Students will be able to explain the importance of the explorations west of the Mississippi River
- Students will be able to identify roles and contributions of significant people during the expansion of western expansion
- Monday: Read the assigned article on www.newsela.com titled ‘The Brave Pioneers’. Complete the quiz you do not need to do the written question. Remember to follow the sign in directions for Newsela that you can find on this document Digital Platforms Access Cheat SheetDigital Platforms Access Cheat Sheet. You can also find it in Teams under files and on Classroom Connect.
- Tuesday: Complete the Manifest Destiny/Trouble in Texas Power Point under files-class materials in Teams. We will do this over 2 days. Use the papers you picked up yesterday or that you printed off from the resources below to complete your work.
- Wednesday: Finish the Manifest Destiny/Trouble in Texas power point under files-class materials in Teams. Use the papers you picked up on Monday or that you printed off from the resources below to complete your work. Make sure to follow the link at the end of the power point to complete the quiz so I can mark your assignment complete.
- Thursday: Go to www.readworks.org and complete the 2 reading passages and quizzes assigned for today. They are “Western Expansion – The Story of the Alamo” and “Western Expansion, the West – An American Symbol”. Remember to follow the sign in directions for Readworks that you can find on this document Digital Platforms Access Cheat Sheet. You can also find it in Teams under files and on Classroom Connect.
- Friday: Use this link to play through the old Oregon Trail game https://www.retrogames.cz/play_687-DOS.php?language=EN. Play through at least once and write a 5 – 10 sentence summary of your game. Include important information such as did you run out of supplies? Did your whole family make the journey to did anyone die? Did anyone get sick or did your wagon break? To submit your reflection choose one of these options; 1. Type in word through office365 and share with me by sending to firstname.lastname@example.org; 2. Write it on paper, take a picture and send to my email email@example.com; 3. Type your reflection in an email message to me. You may play more than once but only write your reflection on one of the attempts. Have fun!
Manifest Destiny & Trouble in Texas Printable Pages
The Brave Pioneers – Printable Newsela Article
Western Expansion, the West – An American Symboll Printable Pages
Western Expansion – The Story of the Alamo Printable Pages