• LAFS.5.RL.2.4 – Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including figurative languages such as metaphors and similes.
• LAFS.5.RI.1.1 – Quote accurately from a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.
• LAFS.5.RI.1.3 – Explain the relationships or interactions between two or more individuals, events, ideas, or concepts in a historical, scientific, or technical text based on specific information in the text.
• LAFS.5.L.1.1c/d – Form and use the perfect verb tense.Use verb tenses to convey various times, sequences, states, and conditions.
• LAFS.5.L.1.2 – Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English capitalization, punctuation,
• LAFS.5.W.3.9 – Draw evidence from literary texts to support analysis and reflection.
• LAFS.5.SL.5.1 – Engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions (one-on-one, in groups, and teacher-led) with diverse partners on grade 5 topics and texts, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly.
c. Pose and respond to specific questions by making comments that contribute to the discussion and elaborate on the remarks of others.
d. Review the key ideas expressed and draw conclusions in light of information and knowledge gained from the discussions.
• LAFS.5.L.3.4 – Use Greek and Latin affixes and roots as clues to the meaning of a word.
• LAFS.5.L.3.6 – Acquire and use academic and domain-specific words and phrases.
• SS.5.A.3.1 – Describe technological developments that shaped European exploration.
• SS.5.A.3.2 – Investigate (nationality, sponsoring country, motives, dates and routes of travel, accomplishments) the European explorers.
• SS.5.A.3.3 – Describe interactions among Native American, Africans, English, French, Dutch, and Spanish for control of North America.