Standards Addressed in Lesson:
• LAFS.5.RL.1.1- Quote accurately from a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.
LAFS.5.RL.1.1 – Use details and examples from a text when explaining what the text says.
LAFS.5.RL.1.1 – Use details and examples from a text along with personal knowledge when explaining inferences drawn from the text.
• LAFS.5.L.3.4 – Use Greek and Latin affixes and roots as clues to the meaning of a word.
• LAFS.5.L.3.6 – Acquire and use academic and domain-specific words and phrases.
• SS.5.A.4.1 – Identify the economic, political and socio-cultural motivation for colonial settlement.
• SS.5.A.4.2 – Compare characteristics of New England, Middle, and Southern colonies.
• SS.5.A.4.3 – Identify significant individuals responsible for the development of the New England, Middle, and Southern colonies.
• SS.5.A.4.4 – Demonstrate an understanding of political, economic, and social aspects of daily colonial life in the thirteen colonies.
• SS.5.A.4.5 – Explain the importance of Triangular Trade linking Africa, the West Indies, the British Colonies, and Europe.
• SS.5.A.4.6 – Describe the introduction, impact, and role of slavery in the colonies.
• Students will quote directly from a text to help support inferences and better understand the text.
Students will describe the jobs that colonists had and how it helped to support and contribute to their village.
• Students will explain what a colonist and colony is and how colonists arrived in North America
• Students will explain there are 13 colonies and describe their locations.
• Students will explain why colonists came to America.
• Students will describe colonial life including housing, schools, daily life, communities.
• Students will describe Triangular Trade and the impact it had in colonial times.
Colonial Jobs link and Think – bit.ly/ColonialJobsDLG2
Greek Number Prefixes
1. Mono – 0ne
2. Di – two
3. Tri – three
4. Tetra – four
5. Penta – five
6. Hex – six
7. Hept – seven
8. Oct – eight
9. Ennea – nine
10. Dec – ten
Metric System Prefixes
11. Mega – million
12. Kilo – thousand
13. Hecto – hundred
14. Deca – ten
15. Deci – tenth
16. Centi – hundredth
17. Milli – thousandth
18. Micro – millionth