Q1W4 (9/7 – 9/10)
|Subject Area||Math and Science|
|Unit of Instruction||Rounding; Add/Subtract Multi-Digit Numbers; Earth's Patterns and Space|
MATH: MAFS.4.NBT.1.3 2.4
– Use place value understanding to round multi-digit whole numbers to any place.
– Fluently add and subtract multi-digit numbers using the standard algorithm.
SCIENCE: SC.4.E.S.2 S.4
– Describe the changes in the observable shape of the moon over the course of about a month.
– Relate that the rotation of Earth (day and night) and apparent movements of the sun, moon, and stars are connected.
|Learning Targets and Learning Criteria|
The student will:
– Understand that the purpose of rounding to estimate “before an operation” is to make mental math easier and to
check the reasonableness of an answer.
– Use place value understanding to round multi-digit whole numbers (between 1,000 and 1,000,000) to any place.
– Describe the changes (patterns) that occur to the observable shape of the moon over the course of about a month
that have been recorded on a moon calendar sheet.
– Sequence moon patterns
– Explain that the moon’s physical shape does not actually change.
– Review that the sun is the closest star to Earth.
– Explain that Earth’s rotation on its axis causes the sun to appear as it is rising, moving across the sky, and
setting each day.
– Explain that Earth’s rotation on its axis causes the stars to appear as though they are moving across the sky each
Chapter 1, Lesson 6 “Problem Solving Investigation”
Chapter Test on Rounding/Place Value
Chapter 2, Am I Ready? and Vocabulary Review
Lesson 1, “Addition Properties and Subtraction Rules”
Lesson 2, “Addition and Subtraction Patterns”
Weekly I-Ready Lessons
Math Small group activities
Moon Phase Activities
** See Weekly Assignment Sheet at top of Lesson Plan **