MATH: 4.MD.1.1 1.2 1.3 MEASUREMENT
- Find equivalence in (metric) units of measure.
SCIENCE: SC.4.L.16.4 LIFE CYCLES OF FLORIDA ANIMALS
- Compare and contrast the major life cycles of Florida plants and animals, such as those that undergo incomplete and complete metamorphosis, and flowering and non-flowering seed-bearing plants.
SOCIAL STUDIES SS.4.A.4.2 4.A.7.1 4.A.7.2
PIONEERS/LAND BOOM/GREAT DEPRESSION
- Describe pioneer life in Florida
- Describe the causes and effects of the 1920’s Florida land boom and bust.
- Summarize challenges Floridians faced during the Great Depression.
|Learning Targets and Learning Criteria|
The student will:
- know relative sizes of measurement units within the metric system.
- convert larger units of measure to smaller equivalent units.
- complete a 2 column table showing measurement equivalents and relate the conversions to multiplicative comparisons (e.g. 1 meter is 100X as long as 1 centimeter)
- solve word problems involving metric measures
- know that all living things have a life cycle
- explore the life cycles of various animals living in Florida
- describe complete metamorphosis (4 stage) using animals that undergo this change (e.g. butterflies, frogs, flies, ants)
- describe incomplete metamorphosis (3 stages) using animals that undergo this change (e.g. grasshoppers, cockroaches, dragonflies)
- compare/contrast differences in body structures of the different stages (egg, larva, pupa, nymph, adult)
- differentiate between the major stages in the life cycles of Florida animals including, but not limited to those that undergo incomplete and complete metamorphosis
- Describe pioneer life in Florida
- Describe the causes and effects of the Florida land boom and bust
- Describe how the Great Depression challenged Floridians
Directions to Access Canvas Courses
- Students will log onto their vPortal account via the Volusia County student page https://www.vcsedu.org/students
- Select “Canvas” icon
- They should see 4 courses: English Language Arts, Math, Science, Social Studies
- Modules represent each week and include individual pages with directions for each day of the week.
- All assignments, videos, and activities will be linked directly onto the day.
- Students can e-mail me directly through the course by selecting the inbox icon on the left hand side and composing a new message. My e-mail is: firstname.lastname@example.org
- I can also be contacted through REMIND and my Ivy Hawn email: email@example.com
- Assignments that are on paper (for example, from the Math text) can be screen shotted and emailed to me also.
- Please scroll down to the bottom of this page (where it says ADD MEDIA)for a list of websites/media that students may be using. Please let me know ASAP if they are having difficulty logging in to any sites for assignments.
- I will schedule weekly ZOOM meetings so that I can stay in touch with students and answer any questions they may have.
Please see CANVAS individual courses for assignments. Below is a list of websites that students have used and may be used in assignments.
List of Websites
Student user name log-ins are either alpha code email or just alpha code. Passwords are 8 digit birthdates.
- Studies Weekly (SS and Science Newspaper) app.studiesweekly.com
- FloridaStudents.org Tutorials for students in Math, Science, SS, ELA that follow state standards. Besides lessons assigned, this is a great site for students to review standards that they have learned.
- Brainpop Fun videos on all subjects- educational games Brainpop.com We have free access so student log in is: User Name: mandalorian Password: theyoda22
- Study Jams Fun videos on all subjects and silly karaoke. Studyjams.scholastic.com
- Flipgrid Students can make quick videos for assignments. User code generated for each assignment. Flipgrid.com
- Seesaw A sharing platform where students can use all types of media to do an assignment. They can also see each other’s work. app.seesaw.me
- Nearpod A site where students can find teacher created assignment modules. An access code is generated for each module. Nearpod.com
- Newsela Timely news articles and topics for research to encourage kids to read. There are comprehension questions and vocabulary as well. Newsela.com
- Discovery Education Website that accompanies our Science text. app.discoveryeducation.com
- ZOOM video conferencing platform zoom.com Meeting code and password are generated for each meeting.
- Khan Academy Tutorials for Math khanacademy.org A new student roster was recently created so when I assign anything from this site I will send usernames that were auto-generated (and I can’t change). Password for all is: Manning1
- 12. IXL Practice for Math, Science, ELA Students receive practice sections each week to do.
- 13. I-READY Math and ELA site that works off of diagnostics and gives students lessons based on their skill levels. Students practice each week and we have seen wonderful gains in learning!