- Generate a number or shape pattern that follows a given rule.
- Recognize Plant and Animal Inherited and Acquired Characteristics
SOCIAL STUDIES SS.A.7.2
- Florida during WWI and the Great Depression
|Learning Targets and Learning Criteria|
The student will:
- Generate a number pattern that follows a given one or two step rule (e.g. multiply by 2 and then subtract 4).
- Identify features in number or shape patterns after following a given one or two step rule.
- Explain that some characteristics (traits) of plants are inherited by offspring from their parents. (e.g. type of plant, color of flower, leaf shape, size).
- Explain that some characteristics (traits) of plants are affected by the environment in both positive and negative ways (e.g. fires, humans, insects, pollution).
- Explain that some characteristics (traits) of animals are inherited by offspring from their parents (e.g. freckles, height, dimples, eye color).
- Explain that some characteristics (traits) of animals are learned/acquired by the environment (e.g. hair color and length, playing an instrument, reading).
- Explain that environmental factors such as climate, disease, light, temperature, predator-prey relationships, and food supply, can affect some characteristics of organisms.
- Describe why the US fought in WW1
- Tell how the Great Depression affected Floridians
Directions to Access Canvas Courses
- Students will log onto their vPortal account via the Volusia County student page https://www.vcsedu.org/students
- Select “Canvas” icon
- They should see 4 courses: English Language Arts, Math, Science, Social Studies
- Modules represent each week and include individual pages with directions for each day of the week.
- All assignments, videos, and activities will be linked directly onto the day.
- Students can e-mail me directly through the course by selecting the inbox icon on the left hand side and composing a new message. My e-mail is: firstname.lastname@example.org
- I can also be contacted through REMIND and my Ivy Hawn email: email@example.com
- Assignments that are on paper (for example, from the Math text) can be screen shotted and emailed to me also.
- Please scroll down to the bottom of this page (where it says ADD MEDIA)for a list of websites/media that students may be using. Please let me know ASAP if they are having difficulty logging in to any sites for assignments.
- I will schedule weekly ZOOM meetings so that I can stay in touch with students and answer any questions they may have.
Please see CANVAS individual courses for assignments. Below is a list of websites that students have used and may be used in assignments.
List of Websites
Student user name log-ins are either alpha code email or just alpha code. Passwords are 8 digit birthdates.
- Studies Weekly (SS and Science Newspaper) app.studiesweekly.com
- FloridaStudents.org Tutorials for students in Math, Science, SS, ELA that follow state standards. Besides lessons assigned, this is a great site for students to review standards that they have learned.
- Brainpop Fun videos on all subjects- educational games Brainpop.com We have free access so student log in is: User Name: mandalorian Password: theyoda22
- Study Jams Fun videos on all subjects and silly karaoke. Studyjams.scholastic.com
- Flipgrid Students can make quick videos for assignments. User code generated for each assignment. Flipgrid.com
- Seesaw A sharing platform where students can use all types of media to do an assignment. They can also see each other’s work. app.seesaw.me
- Nearpod A site where students can find teacher created assignment modules. An access code is generated for each module. Nearpod.com
- Newsela Timely news articles and topics for research to encourage kids to read. There are comprehension questions and vocabulary as well. Newsela.com
- Discovery Education Website that accompanies our Science text. app.discoveryeducation.com
- ZOOM video conferencing platform zoom.com Meeting code and password are generated for each meeting.
- Khan Academy Tutorials for Math khanacademy.org A new student roster was recently created so when I assign anything from this site I will send usernames that were auto-generated (and I can’t change). Password for all is: Manning1
- 12. IXL Practice for Math, Science, ELA Students receive practice sections each week to do.
- 13. I-READY Math and ELA site that works off of diagnostics and gives students lessons based on their skill levels. Students practice each week and we have seen wonderful gains in learning!