Q1, W5: September 28th – October 2nd Regular Math
|Subject Area||Regular Math|
|Unit of Instruction||Focus 1: The Number System|
Apply and extend previous understandings of addition and subtraction to add and subtract rational numbers; represent addition and subtraction on a horizontal or vertical number line diagram.
Describe situations in which opposite quantities combine to make 0.
Understand p + q as the number located a distance |q| from p, in the positive or negative direction depending on whether q is positive or negative. Show that a number and its opposite have a sum of 0 (are additive inverses). Interpret sums of rational numbers by describing real-world contexts.
Understand subtraction of rational numbers as adding the additive inverse, p – q = p + (-q). Show that the distance between two rational numbers on the number line is the absolute value of their difference, and apply this principle in real-world contexts.
Apply properties of operations as strategies to add and subtract rational numbers.
|Learning Targets and Learning Criteria|
Students are successful when they can…
- add and subtract positive and negative numbers
- calculate the distance between two rational numbers by finding the absolute value of their difference
- compare subtracting rational numbers to adding the additive inverse
- define the direction of the distance on a number line based on the sign of the added. Negative is left/ down and positive is right/ up.
Monday (2nd & 4th Periods) / Tuesday (6th & 8th Periods)
- Finish Instruction – Add and Subtract Fractions – Fill in Guided Notes 3107-04-06-AddSubtractFractions-GN-TE Use Nearpod https://nearpod.com/student/ Code:MLJER
- IXL H.10 Add and subtract positive and negative fractions (formative) http://www.ixl.com
- Edgenuity – Add and subtract fractions http://learn.edgenuity.com/student
- Summary – Watch short video before doing Assignment and taking Quiz
- Assignment (formative)
- Quiz (summative)
- IXL H.11 Add and subtract positive and negative rational numbers (formative) http://www.ixl.com
- Play Prodigy, if finish work early. http://prodigygames.com/play
Wednesday (2nd, 4th, 6th and 8th Periods)
- i-Ready Online Assignment – Do the first assignment. Complete the Quiz to receive credit.(summative) http://www.vcsedu.org/students
- Play Prodigy, if finish i-Ready before class ends http://prodigygame.com/play
Thursday (2nd & 4th Periods) / Friday (6th & 8th Periods)
- kahoot! Add and subtract positive and negative integers http://kahoot.com/schools-u/
- DIA Review on Nearpod https://nearpod.com/student/
- Scavenger Hunt (formative) Face-to-Face students only
- MathNation Workbook Examples/ Videos Innovative students only
- Play Prodigy if finish work early http://prodigygame.com/play
- Students will take DIA on Monday, October 5th/ Tuesday, October 6th
- Edgenuity – Add and subtract decimals – Quiz – due 09/29/20
- Edgenuity – Add and subtract fractions – Quiz – due 09/30/20
- i-Ready Online Assignment – due 09/30/20
- IXL H.9 Add and subtract positive and negative decimals – due 09/29/20
- Edgenuity – Add and subtract decimals – Assignment – due 09/29/20
- IXL H.10 Add and subtract positive and negative fractions – due 09/30/20
- Edgenuity – Add and subtract fractions – Assignment – due 09/30/20
- IXL H.11 Add and subtract positive and negative rational numbers – due 10/02/20
- Scavenger Hunt Answer Sheet – Face-to-Face students only – due 10/02/20
All IEP accommodations will be provided each class.